Jewel's Catch One
Saturday Jun 16 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $10.00
General Admission: $12.00
About the Film:
Directed by C. Fitz. USA. 2016. 90 min.
Jewel’s Catch One, distributed by Ava DuVernay’s Array Releasing, documents the country’s oldest black-owned disco and establishes the legacy of businesswoman, activist, and healer Jewel Thais-Williams. The story of Jewel and “The Catch” celebrates four decades of music, fashion, celebrity, and activism that helped change the course of our country by breaking down racial, social, and cultural barriers. One of the original safe spaces for the LGBT and black communities, The Catch also served as a refuge for many during the AIDS crisis. As her club grew to become known as the "unofficial Studio 54 of the West Coast,” Jewel became a national role model for how to fight discrimination and serve the less fortunate.
The film is a lush visual and musical journey highlighted by exclusive interviews with Sharon Stone, Thelma Houston, Evelyn "Champagne" King, Madonna, Sandra Bernhard, Thea Austin, Jenifer Lewis, Rep. Maxine Waters, and Bonnie Pointer. CCH Pounder narrates this historically important film rich with music from the last 40 years.
Join us for a film introduction and post-screening Q&A with Jewel Thais-Williams.
Special thanks to the Honolulu African American Film Festival Committee: Sandra Simms, Daphne Barbee-Wooten, John Nichols, Tadia Rice, Akiemi Glenn, Sharon Yarbrough, Marsha McFadden, and David Goldberg.
Read the Hollywood Reporter review
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2019
- Board Shorts
- Heavy Water
- Rising Tide with Zak Noyle
- Family Film Sunday: Johnny T…
- PAIGE + TROUBLE: The Lisa An…
- Coldwater Journal
- Time Well Spent
- Everything in Between + From…
- Transcending Waves | La Ola …
- The Endless Summer II–25th A…
- In Dancing Days of Dawn
- Beyond the Noise + EOS
- Gun Ho!
- Opening Night: The Shiny Shr…
- Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden)
- APQFFA Spotlight Film: House…
- Women’s/Queer Shorts Showcase
- Fireflies (Luciernagas)
- Gay Chorus Deep South
- Wild (Sauvage)
- The Garden Left Behind
- Women’s Centerpiece Film: Vi…
- Men’s Centerpiece Film: Gian…
- Before You Know It
- Tell It to the Bees
- Deep in Vogue
- Closing Night: Papi Chulo
- APQFFA Shorts Showcase 2019
- Men’s Shorts Showcase
- An Almost Ordinary Summer (C…
- World Premiere/Festival Fina…