My Brother Simple
Saturday Jan 19 08:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Part of the 5th Berlin & Beyond Film Festival Honolulu.
Directed by Markus Goller. 2017. Germany. 113 min. German with English subtitles. Hawaiʻi Premiere.
Based on the novel by world-famous French writer Marie-Aude Murail, this touching and entertaining buddy road trip movie stars two of Germany's most talented young actors: David Kross (The Reader, Tough Enough) and Frederick Lau (Victoria, The Wave). This touching and entertaining film is directed by Markus Goller, whose Friendship! was the most successful German film at the box office in 2010.
Ben (Frederick Lau) and his brother Barnabas (David Kross) have been very close ever since Ben can remember. Barnabas, also known as "Simpel", is 22, but has the mental capacity of a 3-year-old. Even though Simpel can be really irritating, life without him is absolutely unimaginable for Ben. When their mother dies unexpectedly, the authorities want to put Simpel in a home. To escape this fate, the brothers flee, setting out on a crazy odyssey across North Germany until they reach Hamburg and where Ben realizes he has to find their father David (Devid Striesow). Highly emotional and at the same time very funny, My Brother Simple portrays an unusual pair of brothers whom nothing can separate.
- FilmFest Hamburg
Winner—Youth 4 German Cinema Award, 2018 Berlin & Beyond Film Festival.
Price: $9-$12. Click the link above for tickets and pricing options.
- Surf Cinema Nugs 2019
- Thank You Mother
- Board Shorts
- Heavy Water
- Rising Tide with Zak Noyle
- Family Film Sunday: Johnny T…
- PAIGE + TROUBLE: The Lisa An…
- Coldwater Journal
- Time Well Spent
- Everything in Between + From…
- Transcending Waves | La Ola …
- The Endless Summer II–25th A…
- In Dancing Days of Dawn
- Beyond the Noise + EOS
- Gun Ho!
- Opening Night: The Shiny Shr…
- Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden)
- APQFFA Spotlight Film: House…
- Women’s/Queer Shorts Showcase
- Fireflies (Luciernagas)
- Gay Chorus Deep South
- Wild (Sauvage)
- The Garden Left Behind
- Women’s Centerpiece Film: Vi…
- Men’s Centerpiece Film: Gian…
- Before You Know It
- Tell It to the Bees
- Deep in Vogue
- Closing Night: Papi Chulo
- APQFFA Shorts Showcase 2019
- Men’s Shorts Showcase
- An Almost Ordinary Summer (C…
- World Premiere/Festival Fina…