January 30, 2015 06:00pm-09:00pm
Honolulu Museum of Art
'Modern Love' information
Taking dating to a technological age! Make sure to check out the final shunga exhibition, Modern Love: 20th Century Japanese Erotic Art.
• Rock out to the tunes of all-girl band Crimson Apple.
• Print out your selfie with Will Champlin in the background at the Instabooth. Your instagram post can be printed at the instabooth when you hashtag #ARTafterDARK or #ModernLove
• Enjoy the upbeat mix of DJ Ross Jackson!
• The evening's art focus is Modern Love: 20th Century Japanese Erotic Art—you must be at least 18 to see it. Masami Teraoka, Erica Sakurazawa, Anno Moyoco—it's an all-star showcase of Japanese artists exploring the outer reaches of sexuality through prints, paintings, sculpture and manga.
• The museum invited 20 artists to play Exquisite Corpse—remember that from childhood? Someone draws a head, folds the paper, someone adds a torso, folds the paper, and someone adds the feet. See what happens when pros do it, in Holt Gallery.
• Art activity: Get a group of three people together and make your own exquisite corpse! The museum's curator of contemporary art James Jensen will make a selection to display in the gallery!
• Take art snaps throughout the night and send it to our snapchat @honolulumuseum. Our favorites will be shown on Instagram, Facebook, and Tumblr.
• If works of art came to life, what would they think about? In this month's "?Art" activity, you can write thought bubbles for the works in Modern Love.
FOOD + DRINK
• Cold appetizer: Pok Pok papaya salad with roasted kabocha, tomatoes, aromatic herbs, fish sauce vinaigrette
• Bánh mì sandwich: Phở French dip or chicken salad bánh mì
• Noodles: Tomato crab phở, "phở ga vien" (chicken meatball phở), vegetarian farmers curry
ARTafterDARKers can park in the following locations:
• Street parking on Beretania and Kinau Street from 6pm. FREE
• Lot behind the Honolulu Museum of Art School (1111 Victoria St.), entrances on Beretania and Young streets.
$5 for up to five hours, $2 for each additional 30 minutes or fraction thereof.
NOTE: lot closes promptly at 11pm.